TVR Car Club
TVR was founded in 1947 by Trevor Wilkinson (who gave his name to the make – TreVoR) in Blackpool as Trevcar Motors. He built his first car in 1949 using a multi-tubular chassis, Morris 8 mechanicals and a Ford 100E engine to which he added his own design metal bodyshell.
Soon Trevor realised that the bodyshell would be much more cost-effective if it were made in GRP and in 1953 started fitting RGS Atlanta bodies to his chassis before the first real production TVR with an in-house produced GRP body, the Grantura, appeared in 1958.
REGISTER NOW With TVR Car Club Membership for Discounts on all TVR Models, Spares & Parts
The years since have seen the company pass through tumultuous times and a variety of different models – Griffith 200 and 400, Vixen, Tuscan V6 and V8, 2500 and 3000M, Taimar, 3000S, Tasmin/280i, 350i, 390SE, 420 and 450SEAC, 400 and 450SE, S1, S2, S3 and S4, V8S, Griffith, Chimaera, Cerbera, Tuscan, Tamora, Sagaris and T400R/Typhon. TVRs were built to order by hand in Blackpool, England.
Throughout all the changes, Trevor’s basic concept of fitting a GRP body to a multi-tubular chassis with front engine and rear wheel drive, with particular attention being paid to power/weight ratios, has produced ever more exciting cars for the enthusiast. The aim was to produce a lightweight car with plenty of power and torque, combined with a front engine rear wheel drive layout to give the maximum pleasure for the enthusiastic driver. The engine is set as far back as possible in the front to give the car a near 50/50 weight distribution. Most models weigh about the same as a small saloon but with 3.5 to 5 times as much power dependent on model.